Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Country Churches

A few years ago I started driving around the countryside in Western Maryland and up into Pennsylvania to photograph the pretty little country churches that are in this area.  Here are a couple of my favorites:

Zion Church, Wellersburg, PA

Pleasant Grove United Methodist Church near Cumberland, MD

I'm glad I got some good photos of Pleasant Grove because the church closed a couple years ago and it was bought and converted to an antiques market.  It's not quite the same!

3 comments:

  1. Love the way the trees frame the Pleasant Grove church. Did you check the age of the head stones? Looks like it could be an old cemetery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don, I agree about the trees by Pleasant Grove. It's really pretty in the fall, too. There are some really old head stones in that cemetery. The church was founded in the 1700's and the building erected in the 1850's (I think). I know there are head stones from the 1800's there. There's another church in PA that has head stones of a family who fought in the Revolutionary War. The church is called Lybarger Church and the family's name is Lybarger. There were 5 men who fought in the war. I'll post some pictures of that in the next couple days.

      Delete
  2. Speaking of churches, as a kid I grew up in Roselle, NJ The First Presbyterian church in that town was the first church in the world to have electricity and the town was the first place to have electric street lights.

    ReplyDelete